The kitchen is the heart of the home. Whether your building a new home, doing a complete renovation to an existing home, or just remodeling the kitchen, there are a few things you may want to add to make your kitchen more efficient and give it some flair. And, an upgraded kitchen is not a waste of money! Along with bathrooms, kitchens offer the best return on your investment if you go to sell your home.
There’s so much available, and many of those tempting options may also be expensive. The first order of business is deciding what you can afford and what you cannot. Make a wishlist and do some research.
To get you thinking here are 8 ideas for your upgrade wishlist. Keep in mind that these items are nice to have – not essential…
1. Drawers in the end of the island. So, there is usually “dead space” at the end of most kitchen islands. Why not put it to use with a couple of deep drawers like these. It’s the perfect place to store any number of things, like pots and pans, bowls, kitchen linens, and more. Really the options are endless!
2. A drawer within a drawer. I love this idea! It’s such a great use of space for all your cutlery. And, it’s just really cool!
3. Built-in cutting board. No more scrambling to find a cutting board when it’s built right in under the countertop! Even better if it is just above a pullout trash can. Cleaning will be a breeze as you just chop and slide the remnants into the trash can below. Then just wipe down the surface. I totally want this one in my new kitchen!
4. Charging station drawer. If your house is anything like mine there are tons of personal electronic devices and phones that need to be charged at all times! And, if you are anything like me, you don’t like seeing the tangled mess of cords strewn throughout your house. Just looks messy to me. This built-in charging station drawer just may be the answer to looking more tidy and keeping those cords all in one place. Yes please!
5. Microwave Drawer. While most homes microwaves are built-in to an upper cabinet, a trend lately has been to place your microwave lower, below the countertops. I for one, love this idea. I think it lends a cleaner look at eye level when it is tucked away. An added bonus is that the smaller kids in the house can get to it, as long as they know how to use it 😉
6. Toe kick storage. You can never have too much storage space in the kitchen and this one is brilliant! Who thought of this!? This is such a great use of space for platters and other “flat” items. Think table linens, holiday dish towels that you don’t use year round, rolling pins, and even those cute beverage napkins you take out for parties. Really the options are endless.
7. Hidden warming drawer. This is one of those features that I don’t think much about until I am entertaining. But when I am entertaining I wish that I had one! Don’t you just hate when you are preparing food for a larger group and some things are ready before others, but you still need to use your oven to cook? Well, problem solved! Place the items that are ready first in the warming drawer until you finish cooking everything else! Nobody wants cold bacon!!
8. Spice drawer. Keeping your spices near the stove is ingenious. While it may just be a short walk to the pantry to get the spices you need, it sure would be nice to have them handy right by the stove! And if you have a cooktop these babies can probably go directly underneath! If your so inclined, put them in alphabetical order 🙂
So, what do you think? Do you have a favorite? Do you think you’d like to add any of these to your kitchen or do you have any of these currently in your kitchen that you would recommend to others? I’d love to hear about it!