Happy New Year everybody! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season. It always seems to go by so fast and things get kind of hectic.
I know I’ve been like crickets over here with the holidays, but I am trying to get back in the swing of things with the blog so I hope you check in often. And, please share with your friends. I would love to grow my blog this year!
I am kicking off 2018 with a Seasonal Produce Guide. I hope to provide you with a list each month highlighting what is in season, along with some recipes you can try.
Seasonal Produce Guide for January is all about potatoes, and citrus. It is a New Year so start it off right by eating the freshest foods available. That means buying as many things seasonal as you can.
Eating foods that are in season has it’s benefits. More vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
There are many good reasons to eat seasonally but the two really big reasons are, it’s good for you and it is good for the environment.
* You will also get the best tasting food because it will be the freshest possible, giving optimal flavor.
* You will get the best nourishment from your food because the produce you buy will be picked when they are ripe and fully developed. Which means higher levels of antioxidants.
* You will reduce on the environment due to less “food mileage”. Seasonal food means that it is most likely local and less transportation is needed.
* You will be supporting your local farmer, which is great for your local economy. I highly recommend shopping at your local farmer’s market!
* You will be supporting your immune system. The natural cycle of produce is perfectly designed to support our own cycle of health.
Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta or Bacon from Skinny Taste
Spaghetti Squash with Feta Cheese, Black Olives, and Fresh Basil from All Recipes
Teeny Tiny Potatoes with Rosemary from Skinny Taste
Greek Kale Salad from Cookie + Kate
Happy January!! Happy healthy eating!