Summer was back, but it’s on the way out again! Here’s an easy beef and vegetable soup to warm you up when the temperatures drop. It’s a cool weather favorite around our house! My grandma used to make this soup on the stove top, but I love the ease of throwing everything into the slow cooker so I can set it and forget it!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups of water
- 3 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11.5 ounces) V8 juice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste or approximately 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Elbow macaroni (optional)
In a non-stick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, drain. Stir in salt and pepper. Transfer to slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Enjoy!
* I often boil macaroni and add some to the soup when serving. My kids love it that way!